Sunday, June 24, 2007

Touchdown Atlanta

Well I arrived in Atlanta yesterday and checked into my hotel. I had a few problems connecting my laptop to the Internet yesterday, its working, just a bit slow. There wasn't much to do last night except check in, unpack and grab dinner. Today I am at a workshop for Using the Internet in PreK - 2 by Gail Lovely. It has been great so far and I am looking forward to finding new resources for little fingers.One thing the presenter talked about that I found interesting was that kida are more interactive today. 20 years ago you had a baby and maybe laid it down on the floor with one of those toys overhead that had rattles for them to play with. Today they still have the same toys only it has more interactivity. If you squeeze the rattle hard the noise gets louder, or there are different sounds coming from the toy like bells and whistles, etc. The point is kids come to school now with the need for constant interactivity from websites, text messaging, and video. And our challenge will be to keep them engaged.

1 comment:

Durff said...

They are more interactive. I have had great success with podcasting their reading. The kids are motivated to practice until I visit (I use planning periods), they love reading for me, and parents are proud to listen. I found headsets work better for primary kids than a desktop mic. Kathy Shields does a great podcast with kindergarten kids. She is at NECC...